On our way out to a local lavender festival a few weeks ago, my hubby-to-be, his momma, and I stopped for a picnic in the park. The highlight: her famous strawberry pie. It’s always been a favorite for his family, and now I can say that it’s definitely one of mine too. In a phrase, if you were to personify “summer” in a dish – this would be it. Fresh, sweet, slightly tart, and incredibly simple – this homemade strawberry pie is summer on a plate, and to die for.
Here’s my version of her incredible pie.
Shortbread pie crust (prepared in advance):
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 150g of cold butter, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons of iced water
- 6-8 cups (1.5-2 quarts) of fresh strawberries
- 1 cup of white sugar
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1.5 cups of whipping cream