I fell in love with jicama in Mexico and have since looked for every opportunity to integrate it into a meal. Last night, we had baby back ribs for dinner and the refreshing, clean flavour of jicama was the perfect complement to the saucy, smokey flavour of the ribs.
Ingredients: (serves 4-5 people)
- 1/2 jicama, peeled and finely sliced into strips
- 1 regular cucumber (not English cucumber), peeled and finely sliced into strips
- 3 limes, juiced
- 2 stalks of cilantro (coriander), chopped
- 1 green mango (mango that isn’t quite ripe), peeled and finely sliced into strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons of cracked pepper, or to taste
- 3/4 tablespoon of cracked salt, or to taste
- Combine the sliced jicama, cucumber, and mango in a bowl and hand toss until everything is evenly distributed
- Juice the limes over the salad and toss again
- Add the olive oil, cilantro, salt and pepper. Toss yet again. Note, you’ll need a lot of salt and pepper to flavour the salad
And that’s it, the salad is ready to serve!