Frittata is a favourite in our house – especially for brunch with friends. Below is a modified recipe of a fantastic recipe by Sackville on Genius Kitchen. Thank you, Sackville!
Ingredients: (serves 6-8):
- 2 Yukon potatoes, chopped
- 1 pack of bacon, cut in chunks
- 1 spanish onion, finely chopped
- 7 white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped (optional: remove the peel for a smoother texture)
- 7 eggs
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried basil flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of fresh thyme, finely chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and chop up your potatoes into cubes and throw them into boiling water to cook.
- Chop up your bacon into 1-2 inch chunks. Chop up your onions and mushrooms as well.
- Place the bacon into a large sauté pan and start frying it on medium-high heat. Once the bacon is nearly cooked, add the onion, tomato, and mushrooms and stir until cooked.
- Add the potatoes and gently stir in so it’s evenly mixed. Make sure the combined ingredients are level in the pan. Sprinkle on about 1/4 of cheese on the surface.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat your eggs and add the dried basil, some of your fresh basil and thyme, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of the cheese. Keep some of your fresh basil and thyme aside to use for garnish when serving.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the ingredients in the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook for a few minutes until the egg is nearly cooked.
- Add the remainder of the cheese to the surface
- Place the pan into the oven on broil for about 5 minutes – or until the top of the cheese browns slightly
- You’re ready to serve!